Monday, June 30, 2014

Visiting Bill Finger’s second wife (age 91)

On 6/18/14, I visited Lyn Simmons, Bill Finger’s second wife, for the first time since 2008.

In 2008, she was herself visiting. She lived in California and was in Connecticut to see her son Steve and her grandchildren. (Ironically, it turned out that Steve and I lived in the same town.)

She has since relocated to the East Coast.

I was happy to spot Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman on her shelf. Can you?


Second chance:


And I was similarly happy to add the world’s second Bill Finger book to her collection, courtesy of its kind author, David Hernando.

Lyn is one of the last surviving people who knew Bill well. For me, part of her legacy is that of a fighter. She remains vitally important—and her mind remains vital, too. But because she is not comfortable sitting up for long, the visit had to be short. I am just glad I had chance to see her at all.

Lyn and me in 2008: 

 

Lyn and me in 2014:

No comments: