Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar meets Batman


On 2/16/13, I was honored to return to the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, MA, to speak.


Last time was on Superman (no known photos exist of this appearance), this time Batman. I was luckier than Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen, who were scheduled for the Saturday prior, which ended up being canceled due to Nemo madness.

But my attempt to get there was not without obstacles.

First, my 5:25 a.m. Super Shuttle pickup was 30 minutes late. I still got to the airport in time—not that it ended up mattering.

My first leg (Washington to Philadelphia), scheduled for a 7:30 departure, did not leave till a bit after 8:30. My second leg (Philadelphia to Hartford) was even more troubled. The plane we were supposed to fly had a mechanical issue so we were put on another. Once seated, we were informed that that plane also had a mechanical issue, so we deplaned and boarded yet another.

This meant we left almost two hours later than planned.

This meant I would be late for my 1 p.m. presentation. It was not a certainty that anyone would notice, but I regretfully let my host know anyway.

Luckily, the Carle, as they call it, is no stranger to travel complications, and they nimbly pushed back the event an hour.

Equally luckily, the people who showed up were flexible, too.

After, I signed books and the Carle guest book; though I could not make out all the signatures, I still knew I was in esteemed company.





No comments: